• The universal fixture may be employed for holding (or fastening, or clamping) workpieces.
• This device is used for securing gears, pulleys and other components to shafts.
• Cylinder diameter at any point may be determined by locking the instrument at that point.
• Tapes, rubber bands, etc., have been used to secure the mechanism in ...
закреплять на месте
• The dummy is removed, the mould is locked in place and the melted bronze is poured in.
• A component is loaded and secured by a toggle clamp.
закрепляться на тягах
• Tall steel chimneys of small diameter cannot economically be made self-supporting and must be guyed.
• It is recommended that, periodically, the nuts or screws securing the clamping plate should be checked.
• Grinding of radiused (or rounded) and flat portions on the work ...
• Corners and edges were rounded with a file.
• Round off rough edges.
• The beam is curled into a ring by the magnetic field.
• The two polynucleotide chains were wound around a common axis.
• The magnetic field curves the particles into circular orbits.
• Positive and negative particles curve in opposite directions.
закрывать глаза на
• Just because a phenomenon cannot be reconciled with what we know, we need not shut our eyes to it.
. затыкать пробкой
• Plug the exit with a plastic stopper.
• The opening of the jug is plugged by a rubber stopper.
закрыт со всех сторон
• This chamber is completely enclosed on all sides, top and bottom by a circulating water jacket.
USAGE: закрытая кабина (напр. экскаватора)
• An enclosed cab.
. в закрытом помещении
• Gaseous agents are indispensable for disinfecting rooms or other large enclosed spaces.
• The vehicle may have a body (an enclosed ...
• Enclosed mercury switches control the heaters.
• The panel-type compass consists of a closed glass cylinder filled with a liquid and ...
• Organic slimes tend to plug (or clog) the filters.
• Anthracite occurred along the axes of deeply eroded synclines.
• Coal occurs in layers.
• The clip screws must not be disturbed; for this reason they are sealed with shellac varnish.
• An entire complex of biological servomechanisms is built into the body of every mammal.
. вмонтированный; встроенный
• Steel bars embedded in the bottom lining conduct the current into a layer of molten aluminium.
заложенный в нём
• Every biological system has built-in controls to initiate or accelerate a process under some conditions and ...
заложить основу для
. закладывать основу
• Let us describe these mechanisms in order to lay a foundation for our discussion of high-temperature deformation.
• The objective of ...
• In plants high dosages of radiation result in stunted growth.
• Lowering of temperature tends to slow down the reaction.
• The positive-ion space charge slows down the incoming ions.
• Gas backpressure in the ...
• When the speed falls below this level, ...
• The shock waves slow down (or are retarded) appreciably as they progress along the tube.
. для замены в случае необходимости
• Aluminium alloys have been used as alternatives to copper for overhead lines.
• Changing the plasticizer ...
• That system has been abandoned in favour of (or replaced by) the more familiar one in current usage.
• The next generation is certain to discard this model in favour of (or replacing it by) a better one.
• This alloy is used as a substitute for silver.
• Anhydrous sodium tetraborate prepared by high-temperature dehydration of borax is used as a replacement for the parent ...
заменить его другим
• Those who prefer to abandon the term "geosyncline" may substitute another term, such as "sediment trough".
. вытеснять; может служить заменой; помещать вместо него
• If the lamp can be changed for another source, ...
• Better ...
заменять друг друга
• Ions of similar size and the same charge commonly substitute for one another in crystals.
• Table salt is the most common source, but other compounds may serve instead (or replace it).
• When the lake freezes over in the winter ...
• Gravity tanks may be liable to freeze up in cold climates.
• No evolutionary trends are in evidence here.
• Concentrated sulphuric acid does not react appreciably with alkanes at ordinary temperature.
• The presence of the shaper did not materially (or substantially) affect the ...
заметно влиять на
• The chemical reactions of dienes are markedly (or distinctly) affected by the isolation of ...
• The solvation energy materially affects ΔG.
заметное влияние на
• Trace contaminants on the base metals may have a pronounced (or marked, or tangible) effect on results.
. значительный; чётко выраженный
• The hydrogen molecules here cannot emit detectable amounts of radiation.
• The corrosion of an ancient metal ...
• Notice (or Note) that no time element is involved.
• One additional comment (or remark) is necessary.
• Two more points need to be made.
• This plant is notable (or remarkable) for many reasons, including its unique control system.
. обнаруживать; следует отметить, что; фиксировать
• Excessive vibration was noted in the suction line to the machine.
• A red ...
• If the snowflake is turned by 60 degrees, no change will be perceived.
• Nonmetals may replace (or substitute for) the hydrogen in ammonia.
• A connector fastened to the coil is protected from shorting against the upper grip by ...
• The switch closes the triggering circuit of the flash lamp.
• The Carnot cycle is closed by the hot body evaporating the liquid to ...
• The magnetic lines of force close along the axis of the torus.
• The primary circuit of the transformer is completed through a trip switch.
• The material deposited may be brought in from remote sources.
• This can lead to underestimating (or understating, or underrating) the error.
• The calculation will yield a conservative result.
• The machine will take some seven years to complete ...
• A one-mole sample of any gas occupies the same volume as ...
занимать ... место
• Astaine fills (or occupies) the place immediately below iodine in group VII.
• Mercury ranks 16th from the bottom of the list of elements in abundance in the earth.
занимать важное место в
• Today, farm animals fill (or occupy) a highly important place in the life of man.
• It seems clear that this engine will loom large in the future of the engine industry. ...
занимать ведущее положение
• By 1920, electron tubes and their circuits came to the forefront and replaced other means of generating radio waves.
занимать видное место в
• Prominent among the heavy machinery in the plant will be two rail-feeding type piano-milling machines.
• Modern forging occupies a prominent place in primary metalworking.
занимать много места
• To take (or take up, or occupy) a great deal of (or considerable) room (or space).
занимать первое место
• Coal heads the list [or rates (or ranks) first, or comes first, or is first, or occupies the first place] as fuel in this industry.
• Of the new processes which have ...
• Hydrogen holds a most unique position among the elements.
• The atom can take up (or occupy) only certain distinct positions in relation to an external field.
• The classification of Riemann surfaces has occupied mathematicians for more than a century.
. активно заниматься; изучать
• Large numbers of students are involved in the interpretation of analytical data.
• We are concerned with computer ...
заниматься этим вопросом
• How much do you know about the water you drink? You might be surprised and even concerned, if you looked into the situation.
• Of great interest to those concerned with reactor design is ...
• Metallurgists, mechanical engineers, chemists, physicists, production engineers and others involved with metalworking lubrication technology will find this book a valuable ...
• Data are entered in the proper sequence.
см. вместе с; выполнен заодно с
заодно с корпусом
• An important feature of the process is that it enables integral flanges to be provided, and the need for welding operations is thus eliminated.
• That time the eclipse fell (or was) behind schedule.
. истощать запас; мировые запасы; разведанные запасы
• Reserves of coal ...
• A stock of 100 tons could be maintained in the ...
• The shops have run out of (or are out of) paper.
• The supplies of machine parts are exhausted.
• Margin of safety (or Safety factor, or Assurance factor, or Safety coefficient, or Safety margin).
• A fluid flowing under pressure in a closed channel possesses a store of energy in three different forms.
• The potential energy stored (up) in a pair of attracting bodies is ...
• The standby (or emergency) transmitter is brought into use should a failure occur in the unit.
. не иметь запаха
• This gas has neither colour nor odour.
• The current is recorded on a strip chart recorder.
см. магнитная запись на плёнке
• The system was originally envisioned (or conceived) as a drafting tool.
см. накладывать заплату; ставить заплаты на
• The flush-mounted case takes up a minimum of panel space.
. наполненный воздухом
• The internal mechanisms of these jacks are packed in grease.
• A column is packed (or filled) to a depth of 5 ft with ceramic ...
заполнен на 3/4
• The levelling bottle should be three-quarters full of water before beginning to ...
заполнять пробел в
• This increasing amount of information closes (or bridges) the gaps in the geologic record.
• Polymerase was needed to fill gaps in newly synthesized molecules.
• To fill ...
заполнять разрыв между
• Quantum theorists began to close the gap between basic principles and practical applications.
• The material is used in the form of granules packed in a column.
• You will have to commit to memory (or to memorize, or to remember) the names of ...
• Measuring results obtained from a number of production parts are stored and subjected to computer analysis to reveal cycle errors.
• The pulse is stored into the permanent magnet memory matrix.
• Parts with interference can be pressed-in at much lower cost than final machining to exact dimensions.
• These bearings are pressed into bearing housing blocks.
• There is nothing in the laws of energy conservation that would forbid a proton decaying into ...
• The start-up of an electric motor ...
запуск и остановка
• A special valve in the exhaust cuts off the swish of noise during startup and slow-down.
• The first launch(ing) of such a satellite is projected for next year with a possibility of an experimental shot at an earlier date.
• The computer triggers the N2 laser.
• The relay serves to actuate (or energize) the dial mechanism of the clock.
• The incoming start pulse fires the ...
запускать в массовое производство
• It has been estimated that if and when these engines are put into mass production, they should cost about half as much per horsepower as a conventional engine.
• The rocket was fired (or launched) in September.
• For a flight to Saturn the vehicle was shot in the direction that ...
• The two space instruments were borne aloft in 1989.
см. набор запчастей и принадлежностей; ящик для запчастей и принадлежностей
• These fungi can attack plants.
• The mite acquires (or contracts) the infection (or becomes infected) when ingesting leucocytes.
• Clovers may be attacked by bacteria, fungi, and viruses.
• The identities of the compounds are not known in advance.
• The properties of these materials can be specified beforehand.
• The upper limit may be preset (or specified, or prearranged, or predetermined, or preassigned) according to the requirements.
• A relief valve set at a predetermined (or prearranged, or preassigned, or preset, or specified) working pressure spills the excess back to the reservoir.
• Altogether, 22 polarity reversals are documented.
• There are few documented examples (Зарегистрировано мало примеров) of this mechanism.
• Cases are on record of death in animals exposed to microwave radiation.
• There are cases on record of the failure of a complex, expensive system because of the failure of ...
• In the early 1870s W. Thomson conceived the basic idea of interconnecting ...
• A new generation of particle accelerators is now in prospect.
• He suggested that N2 was the stable form of nitrogen in the incipient solar system.
• To hold incipient cracks open, ...
. поддерживать заряд
• A conductor is said to have a capacity of one farad if a charge of one coulomb raises its potential by one volt.
• The excess charge ...
• Those states are fully occupied with known particles.
• A variety of vibrational levels of the initial excited electronic state can be populated.
• A pair of electrons represents a maximum orbital occupancy.
• Move the valve positioning arm until it snaps into the notch.
• The gases obscure (or screen) the object from view.
• An absorbing screen of dust may block our view of the more distant quasars.
• The question of ultimate sensitivity ...
• The dust permeates the dark clouds and shrouds the newborn stars.
• The stars were masked (or hidden) by the clouds.
см. большая заслуга принадлежит
• The credit (or Credit) for the discovery of oxygen is given (or is due, or goes) to ...
• The credit for the discovery of this element is shared by two men.
• This report warrants (or deserves, or merits) careful study.
• One of these alloys appears worthy of investigation.
• Several points in this curve are worthy of notice [or deserve (or merit) attention].
• Fruits and seeds also occur in coalfield fossils and deserve (or are deserving of) ...
• To clog air passages ...
• This material clogs (or plugs) the pores.
• Long chips clog the wheel surface.
. что заставит нас искать
• Wind and temperature gradients cause sound ray paths to curve.
• Trochotrons can be made to count at very high speeds.
• It ...
• For superfinishes, lapping compounds may be used. But these may become embedded in the fluorocarbon and may be difficult to remove.
• The gases released during the consolidation of the surrounding rock ...
• The metal can flow freely and evenly into a mould before freezing (or solidification) prevents ...
• When the lava congeals to solid rock, ...
• We next describe the waterfront shapes.
• The steel is heated to a suitable temperature and subsequently (or then) quenched.
• They first do ...
• The shaded cross section ...
• A solid circle (triangle, bar) ...
• The abrasives in the materials rapidly dull the sharp cutting edges of the reamer.
• Make arrangements to have 3 or 4 cutting tools on hand as they are quickly dulled.
• To prevent deterioration (or attenuation, or decay, or damping) of the signal before measurement, ...
• There will be time for the transient oscillations to die out before the control system reaches the steady state.
• Any random motions of the fluid are damped out.
. закрывать пробкой; плотно затыкать пробкой
• The ends of the tube are closed (or plugged) by rubber stoppers [or stopped up (or closed) ...
• The F-centre has captured an extra electron.
• These neutrons are captured by the concrete shield.
• A large excess of vacancies can be trapped in the lattice.
• The electron cannot go beyond the turning point.