• If the applied laser radiation is tuned to the centre of the Doppler profile ...
• Consider a laser beam tuned to resonance for an atom at rest.
настроить на частоту
• Another possibility would be a tunable laser that could be placed on the precise frequency desired.
• There comes a time when the cluster traverses the galactic disk.
• As the flight speed increases, there comes a point (or a time) where the flow reaches the local speed of sound.
• A change comes when you raise this number to a ... power.
• The repulsion between molecules sets in at small intermolecular distances.
• Convection sets in (or begins) ...
• In the elderly this malaise commonly follows thyroid ablation.
. с наступлением
• Onset of the infection is preceded by trauma of the area.
• The upward migration of methane may contribute to the triggering (or onset) of ...
• The superiority of Democritus' model was not recognized until the dawning of the age of science.
• No less than 60 offsets can be counted on the eastern boundary of the Pacific plate (геол.).
• Pour in the requisite amount of catalyst.
• I was led to investigate such devices by three considerations (На изучение этих устройств меня натолкнули ... ).
• We have accidentally stumbled [or hit (жарг.)] on the form of graphite with the best properties for our purpose.
• Pull the thread taut with the pencil and draw ...
. одевать на
• When the belt is stretched over the pulley ...
см. подвергаться натяжению или сжатию
• The reduced pressure acts on the valve and will rise until it is just balanced by the pull of the springs.
. в натянутом состоянии
• The coil is supported by a fine wire in tension.
• The wires stretched along the street are as taut as harp strings.
• Aerostatics is the science concerned (or dealing) with (or the science that treats of) the equilibrium of ...
• Acoustics can be defined as the science of sound.
. вычислять; искать; можно найти в; найдено, что; обнаруживать; определять; прийти к
• Once the function ...
находить всё более широкое применение
• These steels are finding ever-widening application in metallurgy.
• New fibres find expanding applications in engineering and industry.
• Carbides are finding increasing ...
находить дефект в
• When trouble is traced to such a unit, the entire unit is removed.
находить много применений
• Such tubes find many applications.
• The machines described have many uses in the production of ...
• Therefore some other explanation must be invoked to account for additional absorption.
находить ответ на вопрос
. решать вопрос
• This provides the means for tackling one of the fundamental questions of chemistry.
• Such measurements find use (or application) in molecular-mass determinations.
• He hit on (разг.) (or discovered, or found) a solution by pure accident.
находить широкое применение
• Gravimetric methods have found a wide utility in chemical analysis.
• Such devices may be used extensively in computers.
• This machine has a wide application (or is ...
. лежать в диапазоне; расположен
• The camera can be contained in an artificial satellite or positioned on the moon or a planet.
• Such a fan is ...
• Some control mechanism must reside in the RNA molecule (биол.).
• The proportion of time the solute spends in the mobile phase ...
• These ...
находиться в воздухе
• The aircraft was airborne for eight hours.
• Balloons stay aloft for long periods of time.
находиться в движении
• The free electrons in a bar of metal are in incessant random motion at high thermal velocities.
• All segments of the alimentary tract show peristaltic movements.
находиться в зацеплении
• The rack engages a pinion.
• The wheels are geared to the counter.
• A considerable number of teeth are in constant engagement.
• This quadrant meshes with a spur gear.
находиться в противоречии с
• This is in contrast with earlier work on anthracene.
• Here, stability of the product and the "basicity "of the reactant are in conflict.
находиться в резком противоречии с
• But this possibility is sharply contradicted by evidence.
• The new view is in sharp (or marked) contrast to the one that had prevailed earlier.
находиться в соответствии с
. согласовываться с; соответствовать
• The planet's image conforms to this prediction.
• These rules are consistent with our understanding of ...
находиться в соотношении
• The respective reverberation times for axial, tangential and oblique waves are in the ratio 6:5:4 (or in the 6:5:4 ratio).
находиться в стадии разработки
• Extra low-temperature enamels are under development (or are being developed).
• The processes are still under development.
находиться в тесной связи с
• The secretory cells are in close association (or are intimately connected) with blood vessels.
• Each of these components bears an intimate relation to (or is intimately ...
находиться в тесном контакте с
• The pipe surface should be properly contacted by the brine to be cooled.
• When heat flows from one material to another with which it is intimately in contact ...
находиться в удовлетворительном согласии с
• The predictions of the theory are in gratifying agreement with the experimental results.
• The curve is in fair (or reasonable, or good) agreement with the mass-transfer ...
находиться в хорошем согласии
USAGE: находиться в хорошем согласии (друг с другом)
• The results agree closely with each other [or are in close (or good) agreement].
находиться в центре внимания
• Leeches were a major focus of interest for the 19th-century pioneers of modern experimental embryology.
• The problem of life's beginnings has been the focus of attention ...
находиться в эксплуатации
• The plant has been in operation for seven years.
• These valves are still in service.
• By the 1820s much more efficient hydraulic motors were already at work.
. на ... имеется
• The south magnetic pole falls on the Antarctic Continent well south of Australia.
находиться на расстоянии
• This star is 11 parsecs distant (or is at a distance of ... from the Earth, or is separated from us by a distance of ... ).
находиться под действием
. испытывать воздействие
• If the metal is exposed to a magnetic field, ...
• When such a structure is subjected to an external force, ...
• The ion source is a boon to experimenters.
находящиеся в равновесии
USAGE: находящиеся в равновесии (друг с другом)
• Concentrations of two phases in equilibrium (with each other) are usually quite different.
находящиеся на расстоянии ... друг от друга
• An electron passes between two electrodes 5×10-3 cm apart.
• The force of attraction between two parallel wires 1 metre apart (or spaced at 1 metre, or separated by 1 ...
• Among the metal elements in animals are potassium and magnesium, found chiefly in cells.
• Placed, situated.
• Usually these devices are elaborate installations external to the engine.
находящийся между ... и
• The clutch, interposed between engine and transmission, has ...
• The plate sandwiched between the jaws was released.
см. время пребывания
• Much research has been directed to pinpointing the carcinogenic factors associated with ...
• This ...
• The jet of hot air can be focussed on individual components.
• The less striking varieties of abnormal behaviour have come under the scrutiny of science only in recent years.
. брать начало в; в самом начале; вести своё начало от; для начала
• Fracture and the onset of twinning ...
начальный и конечный
• Energy differences between initial (or original) and final stages of a process ...
• A start has been made on the exploration of ...
• As starvation is prolonged, other sources of energy for the brain come into play.
• There is often a delay before a density-dependent mechanism takes effect.
• If the sample gas has enough gain at a certain frequency, it should break into oscillation at that frequency.
• The internal-combustion engine is coming under criticism because of its substantial contribution to air pollution.
• We begin (or start) with van der Waals' equation for 1 mol of gas.
• Before transcription of the genes can commence (or begin, or start), ...
• Before the development of the North Sea oil fields got under way, ...
• If a high reverse ...
• The chemical sequences of metabolism begin with digestive processes.
• The word ether has had a long history, dating back to the time of Aristotle.
начиная ... и кончая
• The entire combined mill department, the raw mill feed to the slurry blending, is operated from a central control room.
• Products ranging toothpaste to missile nose cones ...
• Beginning at the centre of the hoard, mark each 60-minute interval on ...
• From this point on(ward), relief declines and slopes become more gentle.
• Label your parallels starting with 30°N at the mid latitude.
• This section will include, as from the January 1983 issue, ...
• Beginning in 1825, several integrating ...
начнём с того, что
• What are the available energy options for the future? To begin with there are the known finite and irreplaceable energy sources:fossil fuels and ...
• A radar illumination beam seeks out the attacking plane.
. а не; а не на; а также не
• The model fails to (or does not) explain many observations of this phenomenon.
• This optical processor fails to use all the ...
не ... , a ...
• A liquid corresponds not to a single crystal phase but to a continuous series of such phases (or A liquid corresponds to a continuous series of such phases (and) not (or ...
не без основания
• We view this plant with pride and for good reason!
• The parallel efforts of these two laboratories will undoubtedly be seen as another race, and with some justice.
• Oxygen normally forms no more than two covalent bonds.
. всего лишь
• Zooplankton are no more than four centimetres long.
не более чем
. всего лишь
• The conventional numerical control is nothing more than a special-purpose data processing system.
• The calculated absorption rate is no better than ...
не больше, чем
. самое большее
• The total harmonic distortion shall be no more than 3%.
• A rugged tool with a rate of wear no greater than that of conventional tools ...
не был обнаружен
• The electron could be readily observed, but the neutrino, having no mass and being electrically neutral, escaped detection.
• Unfortunately, tunable continuous-wave lasers were not available (or were unavailable) at that time.
• If a line intersects the cone's axis at a point distinct from the apex, ...
• The pointer is off its equilibrium point.
не в масштабе
• In this arrangement of the process (not to scale) the colour outline shows ...
не в порядке
• There may be something out of order with the steam valve.
не в фазе
• This depends on whether the arriving radio waves are in phase or out of phase ...
не в фазе с
. на ... градусов не в фазе с
• If the path of one beam is made slightly longer or shorter than that of the other, the light waves in one beam will be out ...
не в фокусе
• The teloblast lies deep and is out of focus.
• An out-of-focus photograph ...
не вдаваясь в подробности
. не входя в подробности
• The effect of the dielectric can be understood, without going into the molecular behaviour, by supposing that ...
• Without ...
см. когда-то должен прийти конец
• When a star is forming, it is hidden from view; it is surrounded by the opaque cloud of dust and gas.
. исключать; опускать
• For air is unity and may be omitted (or excluded, or dropped) from the formula.
. за исключением; исключая; минус; не считая
• The entire unit weighs 8.5 lb, not including the hydraulic actuators.
• The time required ...
не влиять на
. не оказывать влияния на
• The gas-jet laser cutter has little or no effect on areas adjacent to the cut.
• The transducer material is unaffected (or ...
не внушать доверия
• The assumption that Y* is zero under dynamic absorption conditions is suspect.
не воздействовать на
• Chloric () acid has no action upon carbon particles.
• Nitric acid is almost without action on aluminium.
• Particles in liquids do not all have the same kinetic energy.
• It does not always happen that a quantity of sea water is evaporated away completely
• The amount of cytosine incorporated was not consistently equal to the total guanine. ...
не всегда так
• Such is not necessarily the case for active second-order systems.
не входить в
• Both the light-year and the parsec are outside the metric system.
не выводя из
• The seals can be replaced without taking the valve out of the system.
не выдерживать критики
• None of these objections stand up.
• This chain of reasoning does not stand up (under scrutiny).
не вызывать больших затруднений
• Mechanical transfer of the cut-off forgings to a subsequent grinding machine should present few problems (or difficulties).
не вызывать затруднений
• Overdriving a system with proportional control of the basic first-order system creates no problems (or difficulties) at all.
• Starting and stopping would usually not be a ...
не вызывать изменений
• A change in concentration of the aqueous solution leaves the concentration of the ion in the nonaqueous solution unaltered (or unchanged, or invariant).
• In this type of model, Cantor's hypothesis fails (or does not hold).
не говоря уже о
• Thousands of types of wheels are made with different combinations of the above characteristics, not to mention (or to say nothing of, or let alone) the multitude of sizes and ...
• Complete proof is not yet at hand.
не нанося ущерба
• Without detracting (in any way) from the resolution of the microscope the collecting and sorting procedure can significantly increase ...
не нарушая установки
• The applications include checking workpieces on a machine without disturbing the set-up.
не нуждаться в
• The solid stationary phases have no need of a support if ...
• This device dispenses with the need for a metal cladding.
• Elliptical galaxies are generally devoid of structural features.
• This property is not shared by particles with a finite mass.
• The mesentron is the only portion of the alimentary tract lacking a cuticle.
• Such quasars escaped detection by radio telescopes.
• Hypoparathyroidism is often missed since the scar is almost invisible.
• Many substations are unattended and use automatic or remote control.
• This hypothesis leaves unexplained (or fails to explain) the mechanism of ...
• The computer need not be located next to the machine.
• The corresponding pulse need not be transmitted by the radar.
• Lasers do not necessarily offer any advantage in ...